“Almost half of [Brazilian] journalists (48.44%) have never made requests through the access to information law to cover stories, according to a survey launched this Monday (May 17) by Abraji (Brazilian Association of Investigative Journalism). The study marks nine years since the implementation of the LAI (Access to Information Law) in Brazil. The law was […]
"The São Paulo public prosecutor's office requested the Criminal Court of the District of Olímpia, in the northwest region of the State, issue a protective measure in favor of José Antônio Arantes, editor and owner of Folha da Região. The townhouse where the newspaper headquarters is located and which houses the journalist's home was attacked […]
"The MPF (federal public prosecutor's office) issued an opinion to the judiciary in which it states that there are risks to journalists covering President Jair Bolsonaro at the Alvorada Palace, the official residence of the president. The document, signed last week and obtained by UOL this Monday (May 3, 2021), asks that measures be taken […]
“One year and two months after the murder of Brazilian journalist Léo Veras, a new complaint was lodged by the public prosecutor's office of Paraguay. Prosecutor Alicia Sapriza, from the Center for the Fight against Organized Crime, accused Waldemar Pereira Rivas, known as “Cachorrão,” of criminal association and intentional homicide, and asked for a trial. […]
"Staring on May 28, all content from Época magazine will migrate to the digital and print editions of newspaper O Globo. The weekly magazine will stop circulating. The statement was made by the newspaper this Thursday (May 6, 2021). Here is the full text. [...] In justifying the action, the company says that more and […]
"Judge Marcelo Augusto Oliveira, from the 41st Civil Court of the TJ-SP (Court of Justice of São Paulo), determined in a preliminary ruling that Aos Fatos can no longer mention that the Oeste Magazine conveyed disinformation. Injunctive relief granted in favor of the publication regards two checks: one about distortions in data from the monitoring […]
“With the support of UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation), Reporters Without Borders (RSF) has begun evaluating the implementation and effectiveness of mechanisms for protecting journalists in four Latin American countries, with the aim of helping to improve such mechanisms throughout the region. Nearly 80% of the murders of journalists in Latin […]
"The Brazilian Association of Investigative Journalism (Abraji, for its acronym in Portuguese) has mapped 100 journalists blocked by public authorities on Twitter since it started to monitor these cases continuously, in September 2020. There are 196 blocks to the profiles of the President of the Republic, of ministers, deputies, governors and other authorities. The reasons […]
"'If she were blonde and blue-eyed, you wouldn't be pissing her off,' a CNN employee said to another collaborator responsible for editing the live entries. According to reports, journalist Basília Rodrigues was the target of a racially motivated persecution, which caused discomfort among professionals at the station. Basília has been a political commentator for CNN […]
"Reporters Without Borders (RSF) deplores the extremely tense climate for journalists in Brazil after a series of press freedom violations in recent weeks, including the murders of two journalists. The authorities must punish those responsible and protect media personnel throughout the country, RSF says. [...] Weverton Rabelo Fróes, 32, a radio show host and humourist […]
Latin American photographers were among the category winners of the 2021 World Press Photo Contests. The awards are presented by the World Press Photo Foundation, and go to "the best visual journalism of the past year." The Latin American winners are: 1st prize in the Contemporary Issues, singles category: Pablo Tosco of Argentina for the photo […]
"Four unidentified men invaded a radio studio located in the municipality of Santa Cruz do Capibaribe, in Agreste de Pernambuco, [Brazil], on Tuesday night (April 6, 2021). On the occasion, the men, who declare themselves supporters of President Jair Bolsonaro, threatened to attack radio broadcaster Júnior Albuquerque after he criticized the federal government's health policy […]