By Alejandro Martínez
A group of armed men fired at the building of Mexican newspaper El Siglo de Torreón on Tuesday Feb. 26, according to this newspaper published in Northern Mexico. It's the third time the newspaper has been attacked in the last four years. Earlier this month, five of its employees were kidnapped and freed after several hours. No one was hurt during the attack but some employees suffered from anxiety attacks, the newspaper said. On Tuesday afternoon, Torreón mayor Eduardo Olmos visited the newspaper to speak with its directors. They were also expecting the governor of Coahuila state, Rubén Moreira, according to newspaper Milenio.
A day before, the newspaper also wrote about another attack in which armed men opened fired against the Federal Police agents that were guarding the Siglo de Torreón's building. Because of that, El Siglo de Torreón editorial director Javier Garza said in an interview with Radio Formula that he believed that attack was directed against the Federal Police, not the newspaper.
Note from the editor: This story was originally published by the Knight Center’s blog Journalism in the Americas, the predecessor of LatAm Journalism Review.